Sunday, December 16, 2012

What is a sport?: Those Guys Have All the Fun

Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
Authors: James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales

Those Guys Have All The Fun is an interesting book and not just for sports fans, though it certainly doesn't hurt if you are one. The book chronicles the rise of ESPN in a unique format, relying on lengthy quotes and narratives. The book provides interesting insights on cable network developments, the effects of increased media outlets(internet, smartphones) and the increasing integration of sports into America's culture.

I'm a huge fan of sports though I'm not such a huge fan of exhaustive media coverage(e.g. ESPN). However, the book provided an interesting passage regarding what qualifies as a sport:

My biggest complaint was that I’ve never believed golf is a sport. It’s more of a skill, in the same fashion as archery. And we used to have these wonderful debates back in SportsCentury about it. I think a sport involves either cardiovascular abilities or defense, one or the other, but generally both. Golf has neither.

The definition of a sport has been debated and defined but I really like the components of cardiovascular abilities and defense. However, under this definition chess would qualify, and I'm not sure that is quite a sport though we would certainly be arguing semantics. Throughout time and across cultures it seems sports, hobbies and games have intersected and the line has blurred. In the end I'm satisfied with any definition that includes competition, as that is one of the major aspects that I enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment